Howdy,
I agree with under WEB-INF as that's a directory the servlet container
will protect for you.

I don't like to put configuration information on the classpath however.
I prefer to access them via other mechanisms, such as the
ServletContext.  So I would create a directory called config under
WEB-INF, put the file (say a.props) there, and access it via
InputStream is =
ServletContext.getResourceAsStream("/WEB-INF/config/a.props");

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

and notify the sender.  Thank you.