I'm new to the list so I apologize if this one has come up many times before.
I've installed Tomcat 4.1.18 on a WinNT machine. I chose the option during installation that allows Tomcat to run as a service.

I made the install directory C:\Tomcat-4.1.18

The machine had (has) jdk 1.2.2 on it already.
When I had problems getting the service to work I then installed j2sdk1.4.1_02 (and changed the JAVA_HOME env var to point to this dir)

The stdout.log and stderr.log files have reported the same thing both times. The stack traces are as follows:
\logs\stdout.log

Bootstrap: Create Catalina server
Bootstrap: Class loader creation threw exception
java.lang.IllegalMonitorStateException: current thread not owner
at org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader.addRepositoryInternal(StandardClassLoader.java, Compiled Code)
at org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader.<init>(StandardClassLoader.java, Compiled Code)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.ClassLoaderFactory.createClassLoader(ClassLoaderFactory.java, Compiled Code)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService.init(BootstrapService.java, Compiled Code)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService.main(BootstrapService.java, Compiled Code)

\logs\stderr.log

java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService.init(BootstrapService.java, Compiled Code)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService.main(BootstrapService.java, Compiled Code)

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
-- Tom H-C