I wonder whether you actually want this approach at all.

Depending on why you want to modify JNDI entries, and whether this is for the entire server or just a specific web-app ...

If I need to change my JNDI entries (generally values and additions during development), I modify the context.xml file for the app (in the META-INF directory) and redeploy the app. This seems to automagically modify the server.xml file for me, and I can keep the changes in my web app CVS.

Perhaps your needs are more complex ...

G'luck

tim

Tim Funk wrote:
There is no way to change web.xml on the fly. Except by -
- putting a new web.xml in its place
- stop the app
- start the app

As for changes to server.xml. This can be done via JMX. See the code to the admin app on how make changes.

-Tim

Adi Katz wrote:

Hello,

I am interested in changing the server.xml and web.xml files through
servlets and then reload them.
So for example I can add JNDI entries in server.xml without the nedd to
stop/start tomcat again.
Something very similar is done in the admin app ( shipped with tomcat ).
Does anybody have a code example or some tips on how to do it ??

Thanks,
Adi