I'm using Tomcat 4.1.18 to run a JAX-RPC webservice. I started of using the
JWSDP 1.1 from sun but managed to it working with a normal installation of
tomcat. You need to add the following files to common\lib

jaxrpc-api.jar
jaxrpc-ri.jar
saaj-api.jar
saaj-ri.jar

I got these files from the JWSDP from sun

There was one other oddity in this. I had to delete the
commons-logging-api.jar and replace it with commons-logging.jar from the
JWSDP, otherwise i'd get the following exception when the service initalised

Error configuring application listener of class
com.sun.xml.rpc.server.http.JAXRPCContextListener
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
        at
sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAcces
sorImpl.java:39)
        at
sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstruc
torAccessorImpl.java:27)
        at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:274)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:
3237)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:3598)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1188)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:738)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1188)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:347)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:497)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:2189)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:512)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:400)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:180)
        at
)
        at
.java:25)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:203)
Caused by: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException:
org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: Class
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Jdk14Logger does not implement Log
        at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImpl.ja
va:555)
        at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactoryImpl.ja
va:289)
        at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getLog(LogFactory.java:409)
        at
com.sun.xml.rpc.server.http.JAXRPCContextListener.<clinit>(JAXRPCContextList
ener.java:76)
        ... 22 more
Caused by: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException:
org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: Class
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Jdk14Logger does not implement Log
        at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getLogConstructor(LogFactoryI
mpl.java:420)
        at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImpl.ja
va:548)
        ... 25 more
Caused by: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: Class
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Jdk14Logger does not implement Log
        at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getLogConstructor(LogFactoryI
mpl.java:416)
        ... 26 more

I don't use the commons logging stuff in my app, I use the JDK1.4 logging
classes instead, so i never got to the bottom of this error, but it seems
that the commons-logging.jar in the JWSDP is an older version so i'm not
sure whats going on here. Perhaps the people who know about commons-logging
might know......

Tom