In log4j - try turning up logging for jasper, (for example in log4j.properties)

log4j.category.org.apache.jasper=info

-Tim

Noel Rappin wrote:
The localhost file is there, but the JSP compiler messages are not winding up there -- we're getting a message in the app file saying that there was a compilation failure, but not the compiler message saying where and what the failure is.

We're running on linux, log4j is in the application classpath, server.xml is writing to a log file for our application, but the message we're looking for is not getting there. I can't imagine how our webapp is eating the exception, but I suppose it's possible that log4j is dropping it on the floor somewhere along the way, but I can't figure out where that might be either. It's quite strange.

Noel

Tim Funk wrote:

It should be somewhere into the $TOMCAT_HOME/logs/ directory. If its not ...
- If your running windows service - is it in an event log? (guessing)
- Is your server.xml writing to any other logs files?
- Is your JSP/servlet/webapp /... eating the exception and not logging? (Which would be odd, since I would think this would always be logged)

-Tim

Noel Rappin wrote:

I did. Doesn't seem to be there. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Noel

Tim Funk wrote:

Check localhost_log.xxx

-Tim

Noel Rappin wrote:

We're porting an application from JRun to Tomcat, and we're having one large issue... When a JSP compile fails on the Tomcat Server, the log message just says that there was a failure, but doesn't say what the compiler error actually is. We can't seem to find any place where the actual compiler error is saved or logged. Is there any way to find the actual text of the compiler error so that we can track it down?

Noel Rappin