From: Susan Hoddinott [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: July 3, 2003 2:35 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Compensating for applet security restrictions

Hello,

I currently have a JSP with an APPLET tag (including EMBED and OBJECT
references) which runs a JAR file located on my server.  The program
runs fine but because the APPLET is run by the Java plug-in whenever it
needs to read or write data it attempts to read or write the data from
or on the client machine, which is clearly inappropriate.  I do not want
to use servlets as I would like to distribute the APPLET and program
when I have finished and do not want to assume servlet support.

The jar file first program is a JApplet and this creates a JFrame using
a normal class file.  All other programs are normal classes (i.e.
non-applets).  I want to use the graphics environments on the client
machine as my own web server does not have an installed graphics
environment.

I have been investigating URLConnections, Sockets, Proxy Servers and RMI
and have been left feeling confused as I am unclear which is the best
approach and all seem very complicated to overcome what seems to be a
simple problem.  Furthermore, all examples seem to use a single text
file whereas I want to default all IO to the server rather than the
client.  Does anyone know a solution for this problem?

Regards,
Susan Hoddinott
http://www.hexworx.com