Questions:
Why is tomcat stopping?

What do the following 2 localhost_log statements mean in lay mans terms?
HostConfig[localhost]: HostConfig: Processing STOP
StandardWrapper[/test:PressRequestServlet]: Waiting for 1 instance(s) to be deallocated

How or where else should I be looking for more error information?

Are hidden non-jar/class files (inside WEB-INF) accessed by servlets using the web-app directory as a base directory?

Problem Details:
I am trying to access a mysql db via servlet. I have no problems creating HTML code to a file using a java application that accesses the db. I had no problems creating HTML code to a web browser using a servlet that accesses a local xml file. I attempted to merge the code by altering my servlet to include the following code in the doGet method:

        QueryToHTML qTH=new QueryToHTML(query, new StreamResult(out));
        try{
                qTH.transform();
        }catch(Exception e){out.println("invalid xsl transform");}

where originally the javax.xml.stream.StreamResult constructor used was taking in a java.io.File object, the new StreamResult constructor is using out which is of type java.io.PrintWriter which extends the java.io.Writer class.

When I access this code tomcat shuts down and my browser (IE6) gives me an error page of some sort and quickly redirects me to the icky xupiter.com site (OT: anyone know how to fix IE error page redirection?)

with debug set to "99", I get the following from my localhost_log:

HostConfig[localhost]: Deploying discovered web applications
StandardHost[localhost]: Mapping request URI '/test/connection/Press'
StandardHost[localhost]: Trying the longest context path prefix
StandardHost[localhost]: Mapped to context '/test'
HostConfig[localhost]: HostConfig: Processing STOP
HostConfig[localhost]: Stopping background thread
HostConfig[localhost]: Deploying discovered web applications
HostConfig[localhost]: BACKGROUND THREAD Stopping
HostConfig[localhost]: Undeploying deployed web applications
HostConfig[localhost]: Undeploying web application at context path /manager
StandardHost[localhost]: Removing web application at context path /manager
HostConfig[localhost]: Undeploying web application at context path /test
StandardHost[localhost]: Removing web application at context path /test
StandardWrapper[/test:PressRequestServlet]: Waiting for 1 instance(s) to be deallocated
HostConfig[localhost]: Undeploying web application at context path /examples
StandardHost[localhost]: Removing web application at context path /examples
HostConfig[localhost]: Undeploying web application at context path /tomcat-docs
StandardHost[localhost]: Removing web application at context path /tomcat-docs
HostConfig[localhost]: Undeploying web application at context path /webdav
StandardHost[localhost]: Removing web application at context path /webdav
HostConfig[localhost]: Undeploying web application at context path
StandardHost[localhost]: Removing web application at context path
HostConfig[localhost]: Undeploying web application at context path /admin
StandardHost[localhost]: Removing web application at context path /admin

Also, the xslt file I am using is being kept in /WEB-INF/data/someTranform.xsl
from reading other peoples code I am assuming you refer to all files relative to the base application directory rather than relative to the servlet or base class directory. Is this correct? I haven't been able to find anywhere that specifically states this.