I guess I'm thinking of an environment where only certain people are
allowed to start Tomcat, and also, where Tomcat is seen as a
system-level service. Like a web server or cron or sendmail.   As
opposed to 'my app is servlet-based and I want a single instance of
Tomcat to run my app all by itself and do nothing else'.   If you have
the shrink-wrap situation, where you want your App and Tomcat to come up
at the same time, and Tomcat exists *only* to provide a runtime for your
app, then embedded is the way to go.

But otherwise, just use whatever groups and users authentication your OS
uses.  If they can login to the Tomcat user, then let them start Tomcat.