But again, the mx is only setting the heap size, not the whole JVM.  The thread
stack is controlled with an entirely different parameter for example.

I found this with a quick search:

"The -Xmx setting controls the maximum size of the Java heap.

However, the Java heap represents only part of the memory taken up by a
running Java application. There is space required for code, data space used
by the JIT, plus any memory malloced by native code drivers associated with
the application running in the JVM.  So the overall memory picture for Java
applications turns out to be more complex than just the -Xmx value."

-- Dave