Yes, still running on the same tomcat, which is standalone BTW.

The problem occurs with both IE and mozilla, but a little differently.  Mozilla
tends to render the results immediately, then sit there for 20 seconds.  IE
will wait a bit, render the results, then sit there.

I'm assuming the difference is simply an artifact of when the browser chooses
to render its cache on an open connection.

Neither browser is closing the connection to fast...  Opposite problem :-)

And no, I haven't tried any of your other recommended steps yet.  We're trying
to do as much as we can without bringing down the system, since it's a
production system (and we have yet to reproduce on a test system).

-- Dave