At 11:46 AM 7/17/2003, you wrote:
Some people have lots of things that use Java besides Tomcat, thus something like JAVA_HOME comes in handy.

... and some people have lots of things that use Java besides Tomcat that use, for one reason or another, different versions of Java. Thus, something like defining JAVA_HOME in startup scripts comes in handy.

As always, YMMV. :)

justin

John

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 15:03:09 -0300, Juan Nin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

From: "Shapira, Yoav" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

This is a basic unix question, not specific to tomcat.  Without going
into technical details, I would say environment variables are one way to
define these properties.  There are other ways, e.g. in your
configuration files.

yes, I know that, but I just wondered why everyone defines them as environment variables.. I see it more tidy to define them in configuration files...

just my opinion..

Juan

-- Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/

Justin Ruthenbeck