I recently discovered these two methods, and was wondering how accurate
they are.

I am a bit confused: I am running Tomcat 4.1.18 on Linux, with JDK
1.4.1_03-b02.  Nowhere in the startup scripts do I see it specified how
much memory to use (i.e., with the -Xmx flag).  When I call
Runtime.totalMemory(), it gives me 128MB, yet I was under the
impression that the JVM sets aside 64MB by default.

On a possibly unrelated note, is it feasible to force garbage
collection on Tomcat's JVM, either through Tomcat or the JVM itself?
Googling has revealed only the official answer to this question, but
I've heard that most profilers can do this.

Thanks,
Dhruva