Since Sun has traditionally used Tomcat in it's J2EE RI, it is generally
a-bad-idea to mix the j2ee.jar and Tomcat, since they are likely to be using
different builds.

The best way to do what you want is to just use the JavaMail and Activation
jars (linked to from http://java.sun.com/products/javamail/).  That's what I
use on my TC 3.3.1 site, and have never had any problems with it.

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Hello again,
>
> I encountered problems trying to implement email service in my webapp.
I'd prototyped in a standalone Java program and things ran ok.  When I
implemented the email service in my servlet, I got many errors, mostly of
the noclassdeffound variety.

> The folks on this list indicated there there were / are incompatibly
different version of the same methods in j2ee.jar and some Tomcat 3.3.1
components, and that I must use two ?older? parts.

> Is / are there a later version of Tomcat which does not have this
incompatibility?  If so, which are they?

> How could I have detemined what the original problem was?  (I spent a
goodly amount of time looking for duplicate .jar files and suchlike, 'tho
this was not the problem).  I still don't see any external evidence of the
conflict(s), so what technique could I have used to identify the original
problem?