Hi, Bill Well, I have modeled a 160 inverted L with 4 elevated resonant radials, with EXNEC, and that's about as good as it gets! Guys with grounded towers have to dig and bury radials or run 'em on the ground but the broadcasters' experience with elevated radials indicates the 4 is about as good as it gets - adding more doesn't add much. Having the resonant radials fanned over less than 360 degrees can produce sone asymmetry in the azimuth pattern, but mine with two at 90 degrees worked quite well in all directions! Generally, if I could hear 'em I could work 'em. The KAZ receiving loops helped a LOT on receive!
73, Charlie, K4OTV -----Original Message----- From: Topband [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Bill Stewart Sent: Monday, January 06, 2014 5:25 PM To: Robert L Chortek Cc: [email protected] Subject: Re: Topband: Radial Question Hi Bob, I can't add much in the way of technical reasons for adding the radials vs a c-poise. However, I can say that my Inv. L, with a four wire quarter wave c-poise has worked quite well...and with much less work than all the radials you are considering. I use only 100 watts and have worked into the Carib. and the recent K9W operation. I also have been using a HB QRP xmtr from 1924 and have worked from C6 up into VE2/VE3. I would wonder about the possibility of 'under-the-house' radials putting rf into your house wiring, and if using your xmit antenna for rcving, picking up trash from your in-house gadgets...tv, computer etc, esp if you are running power. You may be able to get someone to model the two systems and the results might help you make up your mind. Good luck with what ever method you end up with...73 de Bill K4JYS (NC) ----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert L Chortek" <[email protected]> To: [email protected] Sent: Monday, January 6, 2014 2:51:50 PM Subject: Topband: Radial Question Hello Fellow Topbanders - We are about to embark on a front yard landscaping project at our home on a tiny 12, 500 sq. ft. lot. It occurred to me this would be an excellent opportunity to put down a large number of buried ground radials BUT, they would only cover about 90 degrees of the compass. Then it also occurred to me I could put down a large number of radials in our crawl space under the house. So, my question is, what is the likely negative impact, if any, from the house being between the 160 meter vertical and the radials placed under the house? I assume the house material, most of which is wood, tile, sheetrock, etc. (with the usual house wiring) would be invisible to RF and have minimal impact. If I could put down say 60 radials ranging in length from 40 to 120 feet long, would it outperform my current system with 8 resonant elevated radials 10 -15 feet high (which cover only about 120 degrees of the compass)? I'm incline to proceed IF it would provide a meaningful improvement in my transmitted signal strength. Thanks for any help! 73, Bob/AA6VB _________________ Topband Reflector Archives - http://www.contesting.com/_topband _________________ Topband Reflector Archives - http://www.contesting.com/_topband _________________ Topband Reflector Archives - http://www.contesting.com/_topband
