Hi Irene, David

Thx, I had been reading this example about 10 times to understand (indeed
allvaluesfrom being “at least” not “only” ).

Another thing I have been chewing on: the simple case and especially the
remarks by David wrt RDFS-entailment.

My original (very) simple case was: I have two ontologies with different name
space and I want to relate concepts from one to the other saying that they are
the same. In owl I use owl:equivalentClass and the question was  how best in
shacl.

I like your split in three cases:
1. Inference like in owl now in shacl (like triple construct)
2. Checking like OWL does (although always compromised by CWA nature as you
indicated
3. Stronger checking that might be better reflect what you want in CWA fashion:
ie allvaluesfrom: “at least” becomes “only”)

I am a bit in doubt about option 2, it always seems compromised (?) and chances
are that you actually want 3. So I most like the split in choice 1 and 3.

Now about the simple case.

ex1:ClassX owl:equivalentClass ex2:ClassY (so no restrictions involved)

Or even simpler:

ex:ClassX owl:equivalentClass ex:ClassY

Or even simpler:

ex:ClassX rdfs:subClassOf ex:ClassY AND
ex:ClassY rdfs:subClassOf ex:ClassX

Let’s focus on the first only:

ex:ClassX rdfs:subClassOf ex:ClassY

Is it true that I could apply your three options here too? (even now that no
restrictions apply) like:

Option 1: Inference

1a: do nothing in shacl, assume a priori RDFS-entailment

1b: In SHACL AF: tripleconstruct self/rdf:type/ClassY

Option 2: SHACL SHAPE: sh:property (path rdf:type, sh:hasValue ex:ClassY)

Option 3: SHACL SHAPE: sh:property (path rdf:type, sh:in (ex:ClassY, ......
fixed list, maybe all classes in ont)

Do I understand the mails between you and David right that they were about
option 1a or 1b?
(David: a, you: b)

In case of option 1b, 2 and 3: could you then actually delete the
rdfs:subClassOf clauses in your shacl code (leaving only rdfs class
definitions? Well ...assuming there are similar decisions for
rdfs:subPropertyOf). Or is the pure owa treatment/inference with of
rdfs:subClassOf always a reason to leave it in anyway?

Or....am I talking complete nonsense now 😊

Thx a lot, Michel

Dr. ir. H.M. (Michel) Böhms
Senior Data Scientist

T +31888663107
M +31630381220
E michel.bo...@tno.nl<mailto:michel.bo...@tno.nl>

Location<https://www.google.com/maps/place/TNO+-+Locatie+Delft+-+Stieltjesweg/@52.000788,4.3745183,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x47c5b58c52869997:0x56681566be3b8c88!8m2!3d52.000788!4d4.376707>

[cid:image001.gif@01D6132D.A2B2A100]<http://www.tno.nl/>

This message may contain information that is not intended for you. If you are
not the addressee or if this message was sent to you by mistake, you are
requested to inform the sender and delete the message. TNO accepts no liability
for the content of this e-mail, for the manner in which you use it and for
damage of any kind resulting from the risks inherent to the electronic
transmission of messages.