> On 31 Jul 2020, at 02:44, Emily Zhang <zxy1033...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi there,
>
> I am hoping to use the function “owl:equivalentclass” as part of my inference
> rule. However, I discovered when I defined Class A has “owl: equivalent
> class” Class B, TBCME doesn’t automatically inverse the relationship so that
> Class B has equivalent Class A, which is the way Protege works. It only shows
> Class A as an "incoming reference” of Class B.

Protege is probably running the DL reasoner behind the scenes all the time.
Composer does not do that. Best just create the relation yourself and store it.
No reason to infer it since it’s in the ontology.
> Furthermore, if I define an instance under class A have the property C, it
> won't even appear in the "incoming reference" section of class B.

All equivalentClass inference does is add a rdf:type statements. It means all
instance of A are also all instance of B and all instance of B are also
instance of A. It does not change anything else.
> What should I do if I want to use Class A and B interchangeably in my source
> code for inference?

equivalentClass does not mean “interchangeable” and again, Composer does not
run a DL engine.

Simple equilvalentClass statements are within the OWL RL profile though, so you
could use the TB OWL RL profile implemented using SPIN rules to make inferences
but those are "on-demand", not "all the time".

If your data is based on one ontology, I’d just make the class in that ontology
a subclass of the class in the other and then simple rdfs inferencing (which
Composer does run) handles your problem. That way the second ontology is more
or less a “view” over the first ontology and its data.

Cheers,
David
> Thanks,
>
> Emily