Tor user and list lurker here. Pidgin for Linux does not[1] have
out-of-the-box support for IRC SASL authentication, which is important
to have (for example, [2]). (There are two Pidgin patches[3, 4] for SASL
authentication support, but they are beyond my skill level to implement,
which means they are out of reach for many, many people.) Thus I agree:
Tails should have a proper IRC client!

:-Douglas

1. http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/13270
2. http://pirateirc.net/post/14352148374/new-server-6lqaoo6bwnx5qmx6-onion