From: Bill Leng [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 1:00 AM
To: Apache Torque Users List
Subject: Re: Problem with CLOB retreival

Hope this email helps.

The root cause is Oracle's jdbc driver does not conform jdbc specc. In
fact, most jdbc drivers do not conform jdbc spec when dealing with clob
or blob but oracle is nortoriously bas in this regard. Per spec, you
should be able to PreparedStatement.setClob or setBlob. However, this is
not the way oracle driver works. You must call setBlob to set an empty
Blob. The select that blob and update its content. This means that you
need to operations instead one. village is written per jdbc spec and of
cource it does not work. To make it work, two solutions.

1. use a third party jdbc driver, such as DataDirect's jdbc driver (it
is expensive though)..
Or
2. make changes to village to introduce oracle specific stuff which was
what I did. Try the attached village.jar. It should work with oracle
blob. I did not try to fix clob because for English they are equivalent.
You should unpack the jar and modify the oracle.properties file.

Shin Ohkubo wrote:

Hi,

See also:
http://share.whichever.com/
where you can find all kinds of valuable Village related info including
the entire source.

by the way, I heard that the oracle jdbc driver limits the size of LOB
data to 4000B, which I'm still not sure whether this info is correct. Is
this information correct?

I want to insert large text data into the database, like up to 1MB.
is there a way(besides using datadirect's driver)  to do this with
oracle?
I'm quite new to Oracle and am struggling to find a way...

Regards,

Shin O.