2009/7/16 Steve Borho <st...@borho.org>

> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Giampaolo Fadel<gp.fa...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> Mercurial 1.3.1 is going to be released later this week (not sure on
> >> an exact date) and, if possible, I would like to release THG 0.8.1
> >> within 24 hours of that.  I think the tip of stable is in pretty good
> >> shape, but It would be great if any of the following could also make
> >> it in (in no particular order):
> >>
> >> * Documentation:  CHM and/or PDF versions of the manuals.
> >

> > The status of my work at http://bitbucket.org/paolof/thg-manual/ is
> this:
> > * I fixed many of open issues concerning build system
> > * The build system use now xml catalog to locate dtd and xsl files so no
> > hard coded paths exist more.
> > * The build system create the static HTML pages.
> > * The build system and structure of project are described in the
> readme.txt
> > * The build system is still a batch file, only for windows.
> > * The content is old (stupid me that I don't write down the ID of wiki
> > project from which I started my work, it may be 95ad2f0e5fbe)
> > * Tonight I hope to align the content with the last changes on the
> > wiki/manual
>
> Is the base input file in XML?  If so that's a bit regrettable, as XML
> is not a very writer friendly format.  We should look into one of the
> more simpler markup languages like reST that can produce input for
> docbook.

Yes, the input file is XML! I agree with you it is not so confortable to
edit in plain text,
but exist some editors that help a lot, like xmlmind or packages for emacs.
TortoiseSVN
manual is written directly in docbook (there is in its repository a
hacking.txt with some rules
that we can apply here). 'Mercurial. The definitive guide' has switched from
Latex to docbook.

Now I'll look into reST and I'll test it.

> > I think that after the alignment of the content, it's time to move the
> > project in a subfolder of thg project, so it can better follow the new
> > features of thg and it can be integrated in the thg build process.
>
> Certainly.

Now my repository is aligned with the wiki, and I've updated the download
section.
So if you want you can include them in the next 0.8.1 distribution .
I suggest you to wait the analysis of reST before move the repository in the
thg project.

> > I'd like to know if TK is doing some work in contrast with my work and
> what
> > he think.
> >
> > The stylesheet can be improved a lot but we can do it day by day.
> >
> > Up now there is no wiki Creole output so the online manual must be remove
> or
> > we have two manual source documentation.
>
> Yep, I'll do this at the same time.  This wiki will just have the CHM
> and PDF files for download, until we get a web host that can serve
> static HTTP pages.

Yes

One things. Actually I've translated each wiki file of the manual in a
single chapter.
The result is that we have many chapter even for a simple topic.
I think it's better to give a better architecture to the whole manual, for
example, we can
write all the chapter with the title and the text TODO inside it. So the
manual structure doesn't
have big change in the time and we can easily fill it. Do you have any idea
on how this structure
will be? I'll try to look into the TortoiseXXX manuals!

paolo