On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Steve Borho<st...@borho.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 3:35 PM, Giampaolo Fadel<gp.fa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Yuck.  Would like to avoid Java if possible.
>>
>> If we want PDF, via docbook we can use FOP that is Java, or we can use
>> Latex from docbook o directly from rst. But I think that latex introduces
>> some
>> other requirements and complication in the toolchain of build.
>
> This got me thinking.  There are tools out there named rst2html and rst2pdf,
> and
> I've just used them to generate html and pdf versions of your sample
> thg-manual.txt.
>
> They do work, but it's not as nice as the versions that get piped
> through docbook, but I didn't even try to provide stylesheets, etc.
>
> I'll wait till you convert the rest of the manual to rST and then see
> what options work best.

As many of you have already found, I have successfully built the
hgbook based on Mercurial 1.3 and uploaded it to our download page.

This involved a great amount of fiddly work, mostly installing java
packages and getting the classpath just right (with zero useful
feedback).

If I can build the hgbook (which is written directly in docbook), I
should be able to build our docs using your rst -> docbook -> pdf/html
workflow on Linux (everything but the CHM, which seems to only
buildable on Windows).

I intend to ship both the hgbook and our docs with 0.8.1 and include
links to them in the start menu.

--
Steve Borho