Steve Borho wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Ludovico
> Cavedon<ludovico.cave...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am packaging hgtk for Debina/Ubuntu. I need to collet all copyright
>> information for the file sin the tarball, and I have a couple of questions:
>
> BTW: You may want to get in touch with Max Bowsher, who is also
> generating debian packages.

Ah, I did not know...
There was no ITP (Intent To Package) bug for tortoisehg, so I assumed
nobody was working on that...

Max, the packaging I did so far is here:
http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-maint/tortoisehg.git
the only thing left to fix is the copyright and then version 0.8 is
ready for upload. However, I think we can merge the work, feel free to
improve it and add yourself as maintainer if you want.

I was planning to give it to a sponsor for upload into unstable by the
end of the week... but I can wait. Let me know!

>> * Most of the files include no license statement, however
>>  -COPYING.txt is provided and is a GPL v2 license
>>  -the PKG-INFO file says GPL2
>>
>> Are these files licensed under the GPL v2 only, or "GPL v2 or later"?
>
> Most of this has been resolved on the tip of the stable branch.  GPL2
> is the explicit license

Interesting! Thanks!

>> Should we assume that this is the license provided for *all* the files
>> without proper statement? Even for hggtk/logview/graphcell.py, whose
>> copyright holder is "Canonical Ltd."??
>
> This file comes from bzr-gtk, which has a generic GPL license (GPL
> version 1, 2, 3).
> I think it is ok for us to distribute this as GPL2.

I see. Thanks for the info.

>> * hggtk/dialog.py includes this statement:
>> # This software may be used and distributed according to the terms of
>> # the GNU General Public License, incorporated herein by reference.
>> but no license is incorporated... same question about the version as
>> above...
>
> Again, I think it's safe to distribute this as GPL2.  If I'm wrong,
> someone please send me a link explaining why.  This particular file, I
> would like to get rid of.  Graphcell.py would be much more difficult
> to replace.

Yes, I think it is safe. I was just asking for clarifications. I need to
be very precise in the debian/copyright file, otherwise it does not
conform to Debian policy and gets rejected.

>> * Files in thgutil/iniparse include the statement:
>> # All Rights Reserved.  See LICENSE-PSF & LICENSE for details.
>> which looks GPL-incompatible. Moreover LICENSE-PSF and LICENSE are not
>> provided... Looks like the license is the "PYTHON SOFTWARE FOUNDATION
>> LICENSE VERSION 2", and they say it is GPL-compatible... however the
>> complete license statement of those files should be included in the
>> tarball...
>
> Iniparse has been removed from the repository.  It's now a separate download.

Ok, I will include the correct licenses for iniparse just for the 0.8
upload to Debian. It is a mix of MIT and PSF licenses.

Thank you for you quick answer!
Cheers,
Ludovico