On 29.11.2009 20:09, Steve Borho wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 12:58 PM, Adrian Buehlmann <adr...@cadifra.com> wrote:
>> On 29.11.2009 17:20, Steve Borho wrote:
>>> I've updated this wiki page with the list of changes made since 0.9
>>>
>>> http://bitbucket.org/tortoisehg/stable/wiki/FixedBugs
>>>
>>> Go ahead and add anything you think is missing.  0.9.1 will be
>>> released with hg 1.4.1 on Tuesday and I don't expect any more changes
>>> to be made to the stable branch before then, except perhaps to pull in
>>> more translations.  Please smoke test a stable nightly build if you
>>> have the opportunity.
>>>
>>> Once 0.9.1 is released, the stable branch will be locked down in "bug
>>> and documentation fixes only" mode, as is customary. See
>>> http://bitbucket.org/tortoisehg/stable/wiki/RoadMap for details.
>>>
>> 0.9.1 won't be that interesting, as the shell extension
>> lacks the new cmenu code (which works fine, BTW).
>>
>> Problem is: now we have to wait until 0.10 (Feb 1st) for the
>> cmenu icon fixes in the shell extenion. And in the mean time new
>> features and changes get bundled on top.
>>
>> Maybe we should start thinking about somewhat separating shell
>> extension development and releases from the rest.
>
> Interesting. There is a pretty clear separation between the two halves
> of the project.  hgtk from 0.8 could work with the shell extension of
> 0.9 and vice-versa.  (If someone did want the cmenu fixes they could
> get the new ThgShell.dll from a nighly unstable build and copy it over
> their 0.9 install).

No. There were some registry changes. Needs the corresponding
installer run (bare 0.9 installer run is not sufficient).

Most funny thing is, if the cmenu fixes would have been made in
the stable branch and the cmenu COM server off-splitting would
have been made in default, then it would probably work as you say.

But we did it opposite ways: COM server splitting was done in stable,
merged into default, then cmenu fixed on top of that in default.

There, it is now awaiting future "infections" by the new feature stream
in default. Until the whole surprise package gets pushed out on
Feb 1st :) (and until then, the whole package is mostly ignored by the
majority of the users. Because we told them it is "unstable").

(But this planning accident might be a good argument to reintroduce self
registration for the ThgShell.dll. If we would have enough resources
to work on that...)

> This kind of goes hand-in-hand with the installer issues.  If we moved
> to something more like WIX,  I think we could manage the two parts
> independently.

I don't think we need to wait for the WIX transform in order to
start separate things a bit.