The WiX sources of both the mercurial 1.5 and TortoiseHg 1.0 installer
are designed under the following assumption:

    We only do "major upgrades" (in Windows Installer terms).

The basic method is described at:

http://wix.sourceforge.net/manual-wix3/major_upgrade.htm

We have improved that method, in the sense that we are prepared to not
only do upgrades, but also downgrades.

The important thing is the UpgradeCode value in the Product element.

The UpgradeCode code shall and will never ever change.

The rest of the id's, *including component id's* is subject to change
from one msi build to the next.

There *is* some reasoning behind this. One thing is, that trying to to
minor upgrades (in Windows Installer terms) is an art for itself, that
needs some planning right from the beginning.

The complexity of the TortoiseHg installer is already more than enough.
It's a wet dream to believe we might be able to do correct minor upgrade
installs with that.

And it's pointless anyway for such a small product (small in terms of
number of installed Megabytes and number of files).

For an office package, it might be nice. But not for TortoiseHg. Here,
it is the complexity that hurts.