On 27-03-2010 19:37, Adrian Buehlmann wrote:
> On 27.03.2010 18:54, Sune Foldager wrote:
>> Hey :)
>> Maybe I'll have more success explaining this in an email, so here goes.
>
> I tried as well on IRC, but I asked you *twice* to wait a bit to no
> avail, as I am way slower at typing than you. I decided to leave IRC, as
> your messages were piling on my end, without the slightest chance by me
> to respond.

Well, I didn't understand it as 'wait a bit with typing', but ok; and
you did quit without stating a reason.

> Correct. And they are not needed to stay persistent. The only thing that
> is expected to stay persistent is the product upgrade code.
>
> See my other email to this list.

See my other reply to that email. You keep missing that I several times
said IF we were to do component-wise updates (minor).

I said IF we were. Also:
>> I realize this is
>> not presently the case.

>> a) My understanding (above) is incorrect. If so, please enlighten me :)
>> b) IF we were to switch to using same-product-code, we wouldn't be able
>> to correctly upgrade the components.
>> c) Same as b except: ..we wouldn't be able to take full advantage of the
>> feature.
>
> We can't anyway. For other reasons that are beyond the scope of such a
> thread here.

Who are you to define the scope of threads? This is a development
mailing list, and I'm a contributor. Where ARE these things in scope, then?

>> d) The GUIDs are not used, or not used in this way. If anyone knows,
>> please share :)
>
> Some are already used on unstable. Please look into the recent changes
> of the shell extension for unstable.

By use I mean 'used by MSI', which they presently aren't (well, in any
persistant sense). If we did minor, they would have been.

> But I'm going to move the GUID definitions out of the C++ sources (build
> params). af2543f5be87 is just a start for something I'm planning to do,
> as soon as I get to it.

Sounds good.

>> If b or c, I recomend we switch back to static entries for that
>> particular foreach, or find another way to keep the GUIDs persistant.
>
> No. Trying to do minor upgrades is a wet dream anyway. See my other email.

Well, I *did* have that recomendation. And see my other reply also.

> In that particular case (locale and translation files), having
> non-persistent component GUIDs is fine.
>
> The design decisions have been made. The installer is not "minor
> upgrade" capable anyway. Not just for the "*" component GUID I've
> inserted for the locale and translation files.

Ah, I didn't know this was a solo project where things are beyond
discussion...

/Sune