On 27-03-2010 21:31, Adrian Buehlmann wrote:
> No I didn't. I didn't say it is out of discussion. I just tried to say
> that this point is somewhat moot, as we (Steve and I) have decided to
> not support minor upgrades anyway. If we have to pretend everywhere that
> we do so, then we needlessly complicate things for no good reason.

Ok, I must have misunderstood you, then.

> In that sense, it is out of scope of *this thread*. If you want to
> reopen that discussion with Steve, please do so. What I say is that I'm
> not keen on revisiting that discussion at this point. That's where *I*
> choose not to "contribute".

Hey, I was responsible for this thread, don't I get a say in what the
scope is?

> But given your questions about WiX on IRC, I would at least expect that
> you do some rtfm first yourself, instead of trying to talk me down on
> IRC about a design issue we have already decided for the MSI installer.

I didn't talk you down (whatever that means), I described the potential
reasons we could have for not changing the GUIDs. Where do you get this
from? And no, please don't post an IRC log.

> So this is clearly not a solo project. Despite you trying to misrepresent it
> as that,

Clearly not. It's was irony.

> apparently because you don't get what you want.

Well, I often do... at least when what I want is the better solution,
and that's of course always up for debate. Anyway, in this case I merely
wished to discuss the pros and cons.

> My changes you questioned are touching files that were generated by
> heat. If we run heat again, you will get new component id's anyway.

Indeed, but Steve already told me that he didn't plan on re-running heat
again (and I think I asked him about that one for the same reason as I
asked you about this), so I didn't consider that as an option.

> The problem is, these files are almost impossible to maintain as is. I tried
> to improve that.

And that you did, no question about it. The question I tried to raise
was if the potential trade offs were acceptable.