On 29-11-2011 23:32, Steve Borho wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 8:00 AM, Sune Foldager<cyan...@me.com>  wrote:
>> Moving on with my stream of RFCs, today it's COLORS!
>>
>> We inherit the colors from hgrc, such as color.status.added, but this is
>> not a good idea since users will generally set these with the underlying
>> expectation that they are shown against a black background.
>>
>> The default colors happen to look ok on both black and white, except for
>> status.deleted which is then hard-coded to a different color in
>> changeset 1d113569d4b6 by Steve. This, however, does no work if it's
>> overridden in the config.
>>
>> I propose we introduce new keywords, thgstatus.* or whatever, and set
>> the default colors as we like them (probably like the defaults for
>> status.* plus the change in the mentioned changeset), and then accept
>> that changes to status.* aren't propagated; this will more often than
>> not be a good thing.
>
> See tortoisehg/hgqt/qtlib.py 214.  We do allow thg specific colors to
> override the base configuration.

No, because when my .hgrc has color.status.modified = yellow bold,
because I like it displayed against the bluish background in PowerShell
on Windows, TortoiseHg uses the same color for modified files,
displaying it against a white background where it's illegible.

The changeset I mentioned above solves this for the particular default
setting of status.modified (by changing the default value), but doesn't
address the situation where the default colors have been changed by user
hgrc's; and, for instance, with standard PowerShell palette (which
sucks), some of these defaults have to be changed in order to be able to
actually read the status output.

Since the background color is different in Mercurial (generally assumed
to be black) and TortoiseHg (white), using the same setting for both
seems wrong.

The line you pointed to above doesn't seem to define any colors that
lets me override the use of status.modified etc. It's not the same as
log.modified; I'm talking about status (as in the commit window), not log.

-Sune