Hi,

>From a cursory glance, based on the error message, this originate deep down
in the APR library in code which has not been changed between 1.7 and 1.14.

Just to rule out anything in TortoiseSVN, you could install the SVN command
line tools (available in the TortoiseSVN installer) and try checking out
from the command line: svn co [url]

To be able to help further it would be helpful to know
* The url you try checkout (if you can share it)
* If not, at least the access method (svn://, http://, https:// etc.)
* If you are able to checkout other repositories (especially with the same
access method)

Without any other evidence I would look at firewalls/antivirus programs
that might step in the way of things.

Kind regards,
Daniel