would it work if we do both?

            rev = cachedProperties.GetHeadRevision(uuid, path);
            if ((rev == NO_REVISION) || (m_err != nullptr))
            {
                svn_error_clear(m_err);
                rev = cachedProperties.GetHeadRevision(uuid, url);
            }
I don't have a setup ready to test this. At least it would be better than
before:
- if the path doesn't exist anymore, we try again with the root
- if root works, fine
- if root doesn't work either, it's no worse than before

Stefan