Hmmmm... ok.  I didn't realize there was a second pulseaudio config.

I have no idea how it got there, nor where it came from, and I do not
recall ever setting it, but sure enough:

### Make some devices default
#set-default-sink output
set-default-source 2
set-source-mute 2 0

So this is likely cruft left over from an older version... to build this
machine, I did a fresh Xenial install and then installed a backup of
/home/$USER via rsync.

However, I do not ever remember configuring this file at any point in
the past, AND this worked just fine in Trusty, and also worked fine in
Xenial until it stopped working, then it started working, then it
stopped working.

Is there some sort of race condition where ~/.pulse/default.pa may or
may not be the default.pa Pulse uses?

Anyway, I'm removing the file and restarting to see what happens.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  Pulseaudio stopped working but sound still works at the low level (can
  be controlled with alsamixer)

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  Not sure if it was an update or what that broke, but I suddenly have
  no ability to control sound.

  Sound settings no longer show any output devices and syslog is flooded
  with pulseaudio messages.

  Haven't tried a reboot, that's next.

  Package: pulseaudio 1:8.0-0ubuntu2
  ApportVersion: 2.20-0ubuntu3
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/pcmC0D0c:   bladernr   2773 F...m chrome
   /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p:   bladernr   2773 F...m chrome
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  bladernr   2773 F.... chrome
   /dev/snd/timer:      bladernr   2773 f.... chrome
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Fri Feb 19 11:10:11 2016
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Alpha amd64 (20160210)
  PulseList: Error: command ['pacmd', 'list'] failed with exit code 1: No
PulseAudio daemon running, or not running as session daemon.
  SourcePackage: pulseaudio
  dmi.bios.date: 10/16/2015
  dmi.bios.vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
  dmi.bios.version: F3
  dmi.board.asset.tag: To be filled by O.E.M.
  dmi.board.name: Z170MX-Gaming 5
  dmi.board.vendor: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
  dmi.board.version: x.x
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
  dmi.chassis.type: 3
  dmi.chassis.vendor: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
  dmi.chassis.version: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnAmericanMegatrendsInc.:bvrF3:bd10/16/2015:svnGigabyteTechnologyCo.,Ltd.:pnZ170MX-Gaming5:pvrTobefilledbyO.E.M.:rvnGigabyteTechnologyCo.,Ltd.:rnZ170MX-Gaming5:rvrx.x:cvnToBeFilledByO.E.M.:ct3:cvrToBeFilledByO.E.M.:
  dmi.product.name: Z170MX-Gaming 5
  dmi.product.version: To be filled by O.E.M.
  dmi.sys.vendor: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.