Closing assumed fixed.

** Changed in: lightdm (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  After update, signing into lightdm just returns to unity-greeter

Status in lightdm package in Ubuntu:

  After updating on September 26, restarting my system had some
  interesting issues.  First, after the update and subsequent reboot, it
  came up and said it would start in low graphics mode.  If you selected
  ok, it would just reload that dialog, never even loading low graphics
  mode.  Upon further inspection, ubuntu-desktop and gnome-session were
  somehow uninstalled.  Installing those and launching lightdm, if I
  enter my password, it just brings me back to the unity-greeter

  HW:
  Lenovo t420s
  Intel graphics

  Package: lightdm 1.3.3-0ubuntu4
  ApportVersion: 2.5.2-0ubuntu4
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Wed Sep 26 22:41:07 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
(20120425)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_US:en
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: lightdm
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to quantal on 2012-09-07 (19 days ago)