The bug #1238979 improves the situation with updates to the results
model, but it doesn't solve the problem of poor connection.

For this to be possible I think we will need cooperation from scopes,
because only the scopes know if all the data they serve comes from
network and if old results should be preserved if network is not
available. Scopes currently receive connectivity status with every
search, so they can use push_surfacing_results_from_cache() method of
the SearchReply to push the old results again without any extra work. We
could make it even easier for scopes to handle this by enhancing
CompletionDetails in scopes API with a new status such as
InternetRequied (displays appropriate banner to warn the user) or
InternetRequiredAndKeepTheResults (banner + keep old results on the
screen) - but are easy to implement in the shell, but the bulk of work
would be to update scopes to use it.

** Changed in: unity-scopes-shell (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unity-scopes-shell in

  Refreshing scopes data when using a poor connection produces a really
  bad user experience

Status in Canonical System Image:
  Confirmed
Status in unity-scopes-shell package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:

  (Not sure if this is the best package/project to cover this bug, feel
  free to change it)

  current build number: 224
  device name: krillin
  channel: ubuntu-touch/ubuntu-rtm/14.09-proposed
  last update: 2015-01-29 18:53:09
  version version: 224
  version ubuntu: 20150129
  version device: 20150129-c75dcfb
  version custom: 20150129-528-26-182

  The scopes content disappears completely when you try to refresh it
  when using a poor internet connection, because it blanks the previous
  content without giving any new ones (until you get a proper connection
  again).

  This produces a really bad user experience because the user ends up
  with a set of blank scopes, without any content (while the previous
  data could be useful in some way).

  As a user I'd expect the data to be dynamically updated (visually at
  least) as you get them, with a proper notification for the user.