Hi Martin

There were many services "waiting" and one that was "running" : cups-
browsed.service.  I did it several times and this was always the case.
Nothing was listed as "stopping", although all were of type = stop.

I've also attached a journal.txt file as suggested.

Let me know if you need more info -

thanks!

** Attachment added: "journal.txt"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/systemd/+bug/1591274/+attachment/4682872/+files/journal.txt

  xenial shutdown takes a looong time

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  I have a new XPS13, running an up-to-date 16.04.  The shutdown process
  takes ages - something is clearly getting stuck.  It eventually
  completes, but is (or seems like) several minutes.  Happy to help
  debug if you can give instructions on how to see what's stuck.