There was a typo in the old 14.04 script... Which caused dhclient to add the
default gateway in any case.
Now the typo is "fixed" and the script is no longer working the old way. Is
this intended or just another bug?

I will attach the diff file for the typo.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to isc-dhcp in Ubuntu.

  dhclient fails to set default route

Status in isc-dhcp package in Ubuntu:

  We are trying to migrate our systems from trusty to xenial. There are no
changes to dhcp configurations. On a xenial host, upon running dhclient, the
default route does not get set. However, the other static routes do get set.

  I copied /sbin/dhclient-script from a trusty host to the xenial host
  and ran dhclient and voila the default route got set.

  Version I copied from:
  user@host:~$ dpkg -l isc-dhcp-client
  ||/ Name                       Version            Architecture
Description

+++-==========================-==================-==================-=========================================================
  ii  isc-dhcp-client            4.2.4-7ubuntu12.4  amd64              ISC DHCP
client

  AFFECTED VERSION DETAILS
  =========================
  user@host:/var/lib/dhcp$ lsb_release -a
  No LSB modules are available.
  Distributor ID:       Ubuntu
  Release:      16.04
  Codename:     xenial
  user@host:/var/lib/dhcp$ dpkg -l isc-dhcp-client
  ||/ Name                       Version            Architecture
Description

+++-==========================-==================-==================-=========================================================
  ii  isc-dhcp-client            4.3.3-5ubuntu12.1  amd64              DHCP
client for automatically obtaining an IP address

  user@host:/var/lib/dhcp$ cat dhclient.leases  # some values changed
  lease {
    interface "ens3";
    fixed-address 10.0.0.97;
    filename "pxelinux.0";
    option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
    option routers 10.0.0.11;
    option dhcp-lease-time 86400;
    option dhcp-message-type 5;
    option domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
    option dhcp-server-identifier 10.0.0.1;
    option dhcp-renewal-time 43200;
    option rfc3442-classless-static-routes
24,10,1,0,10,84,192,66,24,192,168,100,10,0,0,66;
    option broadcast-address 10.0.0.255;
    option dhcp-rebinding-time 75600;
    option host-name "host";
    option domain-name "example.com";