Difficult to tell as I'm normally always using the packaged systemd from
the official Ubuntu repository but as I'm on the development version of
Ubuntu it should be more or less recent. Otherwise I have to wait until
a version >= the current git lands into the repository to test it.

Also the damaged disc has already been disposed of but since I'm
overwriting often discs one of them will get damaged earlier or later
again.

  I/O errors on disc from optical drive can block raising the network

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  I'm using Ubuntu 17.04 dev with systemd 232-21ubuntu2 and I'm using an
  automounter which does also mount discs in optical drives and on
  having a damaged disk (from too much overwriting) in /dev/sr0 inserted
  I'm getting I/O errors as expected (blk_update_request: I/O error, dev
  sr0, sector 0) but the console shows then "A start job is running for
  Raise network interfaces" with a maximum time of 5 minutes and 2
  seconds which doesn't progress until I'm ejecting the disc in
  /dev/sr0.