>How did you end up running Ubuntu 18.04?
Lubuntu-Next, actually - from:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu-next/daily-live/pending/ -->
bionic-desktop-amd64.iso

Installed onto USB with mkusb package.

>Did you upgrade from a previous version of Ubuntu or did you install fresh?
I always install fresh.
(My HD has 5 partitions for distros, plus swap, plus my personal data partition.
If I need something from the previous install, it's right there in one of the
other
partitions, which (since I name the other partitions in install (-->fstab)), I
have right at hand...)

>Are you certain that it said apport was not installed [?]
Yes.
I called "ubuntu-bug" from the terminal, and it said there was no such command,
and it then said I should install apport to gain such command...

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apport in Ubuntu.

  Bionic: ubuntu-bug / apport not present

Status in Lubuntu Next:
  Won't Fix
Status in apport package in Ubuntu:

  [I am not sure if apport was present in the previous (17.10) Lubuntu
  Next, or that as now, I had to install it...]

  I wished to report a bug, as I have often done before, and used the terminal
to invoke ubuntu-bug.
  I was informed that I needed to install apport to gain that command.

  I did so, but then wondered if apport's absence was a mistake, or an
  intentional decision to omit the  package...

  The ability to report crashes/bugs seems like such an obvious and
  necessary thing to include, for any distro...