My system was upgraded from 20.04 LTS installation, which in turn was upgraded
from 18.04 and some number of LTS releases back (since probably 8.04 when it
was upgraded from some older Debian).
I don't have separate /usr FS on this system, and usrmerge was not pulled as a
dependency during any of the upgrades. Is this package essential now to solve
the problem with debianutils ?

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to debianutils in Ubuntu.

  Ubuntu 22.04, debianutils moved run-parts into /usr/bin, breaking
  systemd-cron in the course

Status in debianutils package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in systemd-cron package in Ubuntu:

  (Found in Ubuntu 22.04 LTS)
  package debianutils keeps run-parts executable in /usr/bin/
  while package systemd-cron tries to find it in /bin/

  $ which run-parts
  /usr/bin/run-parts

  $ dpkg -S `which run-parts`
  debianutils: /usr/bin/run-parts

  $ grep =/bin/run /lib/systemd/system/cron*
  /lib/systemd/system/cron-daily.service:ExecStart=/bin/run-parts --report
/etc/cron.daily
  /lib/systemd/system/cron-hourly.service:ExecStart=/bin/run-parts --report
/etc/cron.hourly
  /lib/systemd/system/cron-monthly.service:ExecStart=/bin/run-parts --report
/etc/cron.monthly
  /lib/systemd/system/cron-weekly.service:ExecStart=/bin/run-parts --report
/etc/cron.weekly

  Because of that, cron-daily.serice gets info "failed" state soon after
  system reboot.

  Please resolve the problem to make systemd-cron more usable.
  Thanks in advance for your help.