Hi Ben,

> Is there any proof that these modules are needed?

It appears we have very different assumptions for how dracut was to be
brought on board.

Diffstat of 0.142ubuntu1[01].log looks like:

That sounds like a lot of changes, in a LTS.  I think we need to flip
the mindset here - the status quo of the modules present should be
preserved, and the differences should be justified.  Do we have
supporting evidence that all these changes are appropriate?  The risk
here is that inadequate testing happens and we get a trickle of bugs
like LP: #2042710 that will need to be SRUed.

> Using symbol regexes will be more fine-grained than including whole
directories.

I appreciate that the previous mechanism has certainly acquired some
bloat by including whole directories, but now that is the observable
shipping behavior and we risk regressing people who depend on that.  How
can we tell the difference?

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to initramfs-tools in Ubuntu.

  hundreds of differences in module list between initramfs-tools version
  0.142ubuntu10 and version 0.142ubuntu11

Status in initramfs-tools package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in initramfs-tools source package in Noble:

  When analyzing the kernel modules present in the current initrd, I
  have found that there are hundreds of such differences, and that this
  started with the move to dracut.

  I believe that the move to dracut was intended to be relatively module
  neutral - see LP: #2031841 and LP: #2042710 for more details on that.

  I'm attaching here a test case based on podman, where different
  versions of the initramfs-tools package are installed, and then the
  list of modules present in the initrd is analyzed.