dsclar;479804 Wrote:
> But an ipod won't play FLAC files natively, and even if it did I have
> 1TB drives filled up with high quality music rips.  No mp3's for me
> other than a few very old things and some old baseball game rips I made.

Why on earth is FLAC important in a _car_?

Is your car so amazingly quiet and your ICE system so fantastically
hi-fi that you are seriously telling me that there is some sort of
noticeable difference between FLAC and high bitrate AAC (on an iPod)
when plugged into the aux-in socket???

And that this difference warrants hacking up a Squeezebox in some sort
of harness (which sits on the passenger seat), and carrying a laptop
with two external drives as a server?

> I totally disagree that the Squeezebox makes no sense in a car but to
> each their own.  I use mine all the time and it wonderful to have 4000
> CD's with me.
>
> I now have the 1TB usb powered drives running which is a big upgrade
> over the multiple 500GB's I've previously used.  I can only dream of
> having a Touch in the car with that drive plugged in.  Once I have that
> than I will agree that a Squeezebox Classic makes no sense in a car.

You can fit an _awful_ lot of music onto a 160gig iPod - more than
you're ever likely to listen to when you are driving -  but I guess
having '4000 CDs' is pretty important for a car entertainment system.

By all means rig up whatever system you like with your own kit in your
own car but it's delusional to think that there's any sort of wider
demand for such.  A simple iPod (or other HDD mp3 player) hooked into
head unit provides all the functionality that 99% of the market is going
to want and a hell of a lot less hassle.

--
slimfast