JJZolx;483321 Wrote:
> Again... It's not planned that Touch will support this.  But a disk in a
> "network drive" (NAS) would be formatted with whatever file system the
> NAS uses.  It won't matter to Squeezebox Server.  And it usually
> wouldn't be anything that you'd worry about.  You either buy the NAS
> with drives already installed or else you plug bare drives into it and
> it formats them for you.
>
> I don't know if you caught this from the posts above, but if you have a
> disk drive directly attached to the Touch, it will share the drive over
> the network.  You would copy/delete/edit files on the disk much as you
> would with an NAS.

I actually didn't catch that as it seemed to get off topic.  But that
might solve some of my problems.

But is an external drive connected to a router technically considered
an NAS?  It's not a self-powered server, it's just an external drive.
That's the setup I was asking about.

Since I do not have a Squeezebox product yet, is it possible to use the
server software to prep a backup hard drive for when the Touch is
finally available?

--
metalbob