perito industriale;493639 Wrote:
> But that got to do!
> You're comparing 2 different things. You can not compare the distortion
> of the signal and the power .. :-O
> Distortion then is not the only parameter on which you decide the
> quality of a component hifi / hiend!
> is important but not the only, if you're a designer you should know

THD+N is pretty useless as a sole metric, that is true.  Especially
with loudspeakers where the on/off-axis FR measurements are more
important.   But... when you are splitting hairs over 0.005 THD+N Vs.
0.0001 THD+N, it is almost guaranteed that there is little audible
difference between the two.   Also, you have to more broadly define how
it is measured.  Small amounts of odd-order are very audible, higher
amounts of even order harmonics much less so.    Also, you would have to
know where the distortion components are in relation to the frequency
band.   You can listen to 10% THD  at 20 Hz and not tell a distorted
sinewave from an undistorted one.    So... yes, it is more complicated
than a simple single number but there is plenty of research showing what
is and what is not audible.

With transducers, we are very happy to get 1% THD+N at higher listening
levels.   Those distortion products are both even & odd order depending
upon the mechanism causing them.    I'd say we are pretty safe in saying
that those non-linearities swamp those that are another 40-60dB further
down.   It is like saying you can appriciate the sound of your hifi
while using your chainsaw.  Nobody would consider that a rational
exercise, yet we routinely make such comparisons when judging audio
components.   The rational person, turns off the chainsaw before they
fine tune their audio system for best performance.  The irrational
person quibbles about the nuances of the performance while ignoring the
chainsaw.

--
Kevin Haskins