pippin;498883 Wrote:
> The Touch is a full SqueezePlay device and _I_ would really consider it
> as a defect if it finally cannot set up a Receiver since it can
> otherwise completely replace a controller.

But it can't completely replace the Controller anyway, because it's
standing 3 meters from where I'm sitting in the sofa. If you want a good
remote in the sofa you will either have to get a Controller or rely on
third party solutions like iPeng. I'm guessing that Logitech
marketing/sales section want everyone to get a Controller.

The only situation where I can see the Touch replacing the Controller
is in a wall mounted solution, but I suspect the users with wall mounted
Touch devices are going to be a minority. All the other users are going
to want a remote in the room they are standing in. Let's say they are in
the kitchen, having to walk to the living room where you have the Touch
to be able to change the music in the kitchen where the Receiver is
won't be a good solution. A Controller or similar third party solution
(like iPeng) in the kitchen is required in this scenario for a good
experience.

I completely understand if Logitech don't want to spend development
resources to make it easier for people to use third party hardware
instead of Logitech hardware. It's really good that they make it
possible to use third party hardware but spending extra development
resources to make that easier seems stupid from a Logitech point of
view.

I also think that most users that want an extra player isn't going to
go with a non Logitech solution just because they need a Controller to
easily set it up. If they already have a Squeezebox product, they are
either going to buy a Duet or another Touch or accept that there is some
more complex configuration needed to be able to setup a Reciever without
a Controller.

By the way, maybe it would be possible to implement the Receiver setup
logic in iPeng ?

--
erland

Erland Isaksson
'My homepage' (http://erland.isaksson.info) (Install my plugins through
Extension Downloader)
Custom Scan,  Custom Skip, Multi Library, Title Switcher and Database
Query plugins'
(http://wiki.erland.isaksson.info/index.php/Category:SlimServer))