agillis;513255 Wrote:
> Ken Poon
> http://www.referencerecordings.com/
> Linn Records
>
> All sell music in 24/192. It sounds fantastic on the right system.

I read the website for referencerecordings.  From what I see, this
company sells CD's.  By definition, CD's are 16bit/44.1kHz.  No matter
how much hocus pocus fancy terminology is used to describe the audio
characteristics of the recordings, it is still 16/44.1.  It can't be
anything else or it wouldn't play in a CD player.

As far as the recording process is concerned, yes, the recordings can
start out at a higher bit and sample rate but then they need to be
dithered and downsampled to comply with CD requirements. When a 24-bit
signal ends up on a 16-bit CD, eight bits are truncated and never heard
from again. There is also a loss of audio quality when doing a sample
rate conversion (downsampling).

In my own studio, I use a MOTU 828mk3, which is capable of 24/192.  But
again, that is only during the recording process for my own productions,
in order to use software plugins that benefit from the higher sample
rate.  The final mix needs to be 16/44.1 on a CD.

Yes, you can go all the way to 16/192 on a DVD, but there are not too
many record companies that produce music on DVD.  Even at 24/96 you are
usually limited to music videos and concert movies.  The vast majority
of music is manufactured to the CD standard.

Bottom line, 24/192 is an academic issue with no practical consequence
in the context of listening to music on a squeezebox.

--
mortslim