7.4.0 and 7.4.1 and 7.4.2 and 7.5 does down-sampling via sox and flac.
Works really well does load the server a bit though.

Some 7.3.x version does this too but I think one 7.3.x version used mp3
urgh :-/ can not remember wich one 7.3.2 ?

Miss-configured ? one should  generally not touch the config file
nowadays it works best right off the bat, unless you got special needs
as a NAS or something.

--
Mnyb

Main hifi: SB3 (soon to replaced by a Touch :) It is on preorder)
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Receiver (soon to be replaced by my SB3 and the SBR to be
stuffed in a box in the attic )
Miscellaneous use: Radio (battery pack to be ordered)
I use a Controller various ir-remotes and a Eee-PC with squeezeplay to
control this