My speculation is that Logitech has a severe cash crunch at the moment.

Remember I said "speculation" not facts.

If it has such a cash crunch, maybe it can't build sufficient
quantities in its Chinese sub-contractor's factory because it can't pay
the subcontractor to start up a production run.  There is a difference
between a prototype run of a few hundred and a regular production of
several thousand.  Maybe the Chinese sub-contractor went bankrupt and
Logitech can't find another sub-contractor.

I speculate as to this based upon analogizing to my experience with the
GAP clothing company.  I bought a couple of jackets and sweatshirts from
them last year.  When I went to their website this year, I see A LOT
FEWER offerings.  Conclusion? It's the economy.  The world-wide
economy.

A company can't build if it doesn't have the cash flow to finance the
building.  Or maybe its the credit crunch.  A company needs a steady
flow of credit to finance its operations.  Maybe Logitech doesn't have
the bank loans it needs to build the Touch.

Read between the lines of the bug list for the operating system of the
Touch.  At Microsoft, just for purposes of comparison, there are
thousands of programmers working 24/7 in offices around the world.

It seems Logitech has maybe a handful at most of programmers working on
the touch.  You can read their posts here.  Its kind of horse and buggy
in a way when you go to the local blacksmith to have your horse
re-shoed.  It gives the impression of very low capital investment.

So, my speculation is that Logitech wants to start shipping the touch
but it just doesn't have the capital or the credit to make it happen.

Remember, this post is pure speculation.  I have absolutely no personal
knowledge of exactly what the finances of Logitech really are.

Just some idle musing.

--
mortslim