aubuti;532331 Wrote:
> As bluegaspode already pointed out, this is price discrimination in
> segmented markets, straight out of any first-year undergraduate
> economics text. Demand for SBs in Canada is apparently more inelastic
> than in the US because of a host of factors, including size of market,
> cost of substitutes (considered broadly, including CD players, etc).
> Retail regulations matter too, but probably not very much in this case.
> As long as Logitech can segment the market, which they do via their
> distribution chain, it makes sense for them to charge more in Canada
> than in the US. That is not "subsidizing" US consumers -- it's charging
> what the Canadian market, and the US market, will bear. As you pointed
> out yourself, that is norm for many products in Canada.
>
> Also, I confess to knowing nothing about commercial law in Canada, but
> I strongly doubt that Logitech distribution can tell Canadian retailers
> what they must charge for the product. MSRP is one thing, but street
> price is another. If Canadian retailers have no flexibility to discount
> prices, that's part of your problem right there.

But to many market segments are artificially created (region codes on
DVD  & BlueRay anyone that ought to be criminal ? ), wonder when we
will see an end to that, some international legislation of some kind ?
WTO, EU and NAFTA tries to make markets more transparent .
(except for when we punish third world countries for trying to sell
their agricultural products on a fair market ;) )

But Logitech does not take first price in this sport, I think the all
time winner is Krell. They have really ridiculous pricing in Europe and
very few companies importing the stuff, markup is close to 100% .

Therefore side importing on used amps from US was very common.
Most of them was made so that you only had to change taps on on the
trafo then you where done.

But then Krell invented a 50/60Hz sensing circuit :)in some amps Then
you had to pay a huge "fee" to the local dealer to get it converted,
what about that ?

--
Mnyb

Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J and assorted amps SiriuS,
Classe'Primare and Dynadio speakers (including a pair of Contour 4 )
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: SB3 + powered Fostex PM0.4
Miscellaneous use: Radio (with battery)
I use a Controller various ir-remotes and a Eee-PC with squeezeplay to
control this