JohnSwenson;535171 Wrote:
> Your situation has me wondering. Its certainly possible that there might
> be a router model that doesn't work well with the Touch, and its known
> that every now and then a USB memory stick doesn't work with it, and
> its for sure that there are certain USB HDDs that don't work with it,
> but what is the probability that YOU are so unlucky as to wind up with
> all of them?
>
> I just started thinking that there might be a systemic issue involved.
> Something like a slow memory chip or voltage regulator running a little
> low could allow the system to still function so it would pass production
> QA tests but could fail in strange ways in the field. Something like
> that might be very difficult to track down.
>
> The fact that you also had a Duet that malfunctioned is starting to
> seem like there might be something in the environment, like maybe high
> levels of RFI, or maybe excessive noise on the AC mains. I have a
> friend who lives a couple miles away from a TV transmitter tower and
> the elevated RF in his house causes many pieces of electronics to go
> wacko in strange ways.
>
> Or maybe you have the ghost of an ex Logitech employee that has an ax
> to grind living in your house ;-)
>
> If it were me I would focus on one issue at a time and try and see what
> the parameters of the failure are. For example does the second router
> exhibit the same behavior that if anything else is connected to it the
> Touch doesn't work? Have you tried several different USB sticks, do
> they all mess up? If they all do then its probably either something
> wrong with the Touch hardware or something in the environment.
>
> John S.

Hi John,
The Squeezebox Duet was working fine for over 6 months. Worked straight
out of the box so to speak. Then it started playing up and then stopped
working all together. On the other hand the receiver worked perfect,
could control it via the netbook.

Confirmed, that the Touch works fine with the Netgear WiFi router even
when I use other WiFi devices to access it. (Tried the netbook only,
very briefly, as I didn't want to spend any more time on this.) My
Linksys modem/router has never caused any problems and managed well
with all other WiFi devices. Two laptops, one netbook, a Wii Play
Station (and of course the Squeezebox Duet previously). The laptops are
not connected all the time though. One laptop is mostly used in the
office and connected via LAN cable. The other labtop is used maybe once
a month, or less. The netbook on the other hand is connected via WiFi
only and used daily. Well, and the music server of course is
permanently via LAN.

Regarding environmental issues; am not located near RFI pollution
(radio or TV broadcast mast), nor high-voltage power lines, nor
excessive noise on mains supply.
A disgruntled ex Logitech employee ghost? Wow, is there such a thing as
a disgruntled Logitech employee. Gosh, I wouldn't know, but I have
plenty other Logitech products, why doesn't this ghost pick on those?!
:-)

More to the point I'm trying to make. The software/firmware, on a newly
released product, should be refined enough so that it can cope with the
fast number of WiFi routers (that what the IEEE802g standard is for)
and USB or SD devices out there. I understand that the Touch's firmware
is an embedded linux system. Yet, having used linux systems for a number
of years  -  one laptop, the netbook and the server are running linux  -
none have ever displayed inconstancy in:
a) connecting to a WiFi router (or even crashed when a connection gets
disrupted!)
b) intermittent errors reading SD cards (unless the card is faulty).

Understandably USB HDDs can at times be a problem, depending very much
on their power consumption, if no external power source is used. Then
again, looking through this forum, there are other issues with USB HDDs
not relating to insufficient power.

Over and above, having intermittently errors with SD cards (a brand new
card and existing one from my camera) is just not acceptable any more
these days. These errors are limited to the TinySBS only and show up
when the build-in TinySBS is used. I copied a lot of photos (jpg and
png, different sizes from less than 100k to 1M) to the SD cards for
testing and enabled the slideshow as screensaver during play and off
mode. It never missed once, even after hours and hours of running. The
TinySBS crapped out after less than 15min!

You may be correct John, that my unit may have a fault. But then
wouldn't that apply to most other units having some kind of WiFi and/or
USB/SD problems? There seem to be plenty people coming to this form to
seek assistance for these issues.

Oh, and very sorry for this very long post :-)
Ron

--
squeezetouch