hawaiijim;535455 Wrote:
> Are you telling me that Canadians can't buy directly from U.S. internet
> retailers? Amazon.com in Seattle, Washington doesn't ship to Vancouver?
> (Not that Amazon.com has the Touch yet, but I'm sure they will soon.) I
> think most credit cards can be used to buy stuff in foreign currencies
> for a small fee. You do have the 'same electrical outlets as us'
> (http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=1006051807490), right?

If you live in Canada, you must purchase from the Amazon.ca Web site,
not Amazon.com. The Amazon.ca Web site does not have the same range of
products (especially in electronics) that the Amazon.com site has. And,
when it does the have same products, Amazon.ca pricing is related to the
CDN not US MSRP. It is the same story with Crutchfield and TigerDirect.
They both have the CDN Web sites that list products with the
discriminatory pricing intact. At one time, you were able to buy
directly from the US Web sites, but they must have realized that there
was more money to be squeezed out of Canadians by setting up CDN
versions of their online stores. Or it could simply be they are forced
in too many occasions to get product from the CDN distributors who
provide inventory at a higher price for CDN sales.

However, it is still possible to find online US retailers who will ship
internationally. Usually, the mark up on shipping is a bit out of line,
but even considering this mark up, it is often cheaper to buy directly
from the US retailer. And, of course, there is always eBay. When the
initial demand subsides, the Touch units will start appearing on eBay.
It is not unheard to see something like 20-30 dollars for shipping on a
product of the approximate weight and dimensions of the Touch.
(Strangely, it is ofent a lot cheaper for shipping from Hong Kong to
Canada than from a US address). However, it is usually a no brainer to
make the purchase from an eBayer (discounted price of, say, 225 + 20 =
250 vs 379 + shipping in Canada). There is more risk in the purchase
and returns can be problematic. But, most people would find the risk
acceptable if they could save over 100.00 on the purchase.

--
dmg