squeezyjim;536101 Wrote:
> As long as any company has a niche (as most companies do by definition),
> or in other words a monopoly in a certain market area, the 'rules' of
> market forces simply don't apply. The Squeezebox range is pretty unique
> in its capabilities, so it is effectively a monopolistic market, but it
> wont be long till someone thinks, "Hey, I can make a box that does all
> that and more, looks better for less money" and then you might see
> 'Market Forces' at work. And only then, if you abolish all copywrite
> and patent laws, which inevitably skew the market. Capitalists seem to
> want it all ways these days.
>
> But while all this amateur economics is quite interesting to read, none
> of it is relevant to the OP; the point is that us Europeans are pretty
> darned miffed about being treated as fools, made to wait longer than
> ONE country in the world without any clear reason and then expected to
> cover the loss they lead in that country.
> <snip>

It's hard to know where to start with an economically illiterate post
like this. SBs hardly represent a monopoly. Ever hear of Sonos, Roku,
or the newer line of Cisco and Sony network music players? Even if it
were a monopoly, market rules still apply -- it's just a different set
of rules from a competitive market.

Number one, no one is holding a gun to your head. Apparently Logitech's
market research is telling them that other markets are less price
sensitive than the US, and the revenue they gain by jacking up the
price in those markets more than offsets the smaller loss in units
sold. In the lower price markets it's the other way around, where
setting a lower price is more than compensated by the higher volume.
But if you think they are selling at a loss in those markets, then
reasoned debate is impossible.

Bottom line: If you think the price is unfairly high, vote with your
wallet and don't buy an SB. Buy a competing product or keep listening
to your CDs. Logitech will notice that a lot more than any moaning in
these forums.

Just out of curiosity, anyone know what international price
differentials and availability are for some of the competing products
like Sonos? I'd be very surprised if similar price discrimination did
not occur.

--
aubuti