glenw, have you tried actually looking at the cpu and memory usage while
decoding the flac files? It would really help to know whats actually
going on inside your Touch.

You can do this by sshing into the Touch and running either ps -aux or
top.

To do this you need to enable ssh on the Touch:
setings>advanced>enable remote access.

This will give you the IP address and password.

Use an SSH client to connect to the Touch as "root". On Windows such a
program is putty.exe, on linux its just ssh, I'm not sure what it is on
Mak. Connect to the touch using the IP address you got when enabling
remote access, it will ask for a password, use the one from above.

This should get you into the Touch. Then just type either ps -aux
<enter> or top <enter>

Top gives you the top 20 or so processes and repeats it over and over
until you type 'q'. I'm not sure how well it works on putty though, its
works great using ssh on linux. If top is not working well try ps -aux
(this shows all the process, so you will have to scroll to find the big
ones)

Either of these will tell you the percentage CPU and memory usage each
process is using. This is probably going to be important to tracking
down whats going on with your Touch.

For example on mine when playing 24/96 flac from an external server
only about 40% cpu is being used.

John S.

--
JohnSwenson