mortslim;534956 Wrote:
> This issue wasn’t even known until a few days ago when it was
> revealed that “modified” machines and “not
> published” specs machines were being used to extract DSD data
> from an SACD.
>
> 1.    A deliberate attempt at obfuscation because of a conscious knowledge
> of these issues.
> 2.    Unawareness or misunderstanding by those involved as to these
> issues.
> 3.    A desire to protect a “trade secret” as to the method of
> extraction.

Studios have been taking the DSD data stream from SACD's for years. The
EMM Labs and Playback Designs machines pass a pure DSD stream in stock
form. We had to "modify" the EMM Labs ADC because the SACD Scarlet book
spec allows for a +3db signal and when directly converted to PCM, there
is clipping. With so many "hot" SACD's, we were getting too much
clipping when the EMM Labs coverter did the PCM conversion.
This is a moot point now that we just capture the DSD data stream and
do SRC using SARACON.

Regards,
Puget Sound Studios
Seattle, WA